This year Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum will once again be teaming up with various local veteran community leaders to present a virtual Memorial Day Celebration. The celebration will kick off with a collaborative remembrance ceremony broadcast from the Soldiers & Sailors auditorium in partnership with Gold Star Mothers, Spouses and Families, VVI and Shepherd’s Heart Veterans Home followed by the Soldiers & Sailors annual fallen soldiers tribute slideshow memorializing Pennsylvanians killed in the current conflicts and military and veteran videos from the community courtesy of Veterans Breakfast Club.
The event link will be live at 11am on Memorial Day.
Soldiers & Sailors’ weeklong Summer Camp program alternates each year between Civil War and World War II themes. There are full-day (9AM-3PM) and half-day (9AM-12PM) options available. Lunch is provided for both options and an afternoon snack is provided for the full-day option. The camps are intended for students entering 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade. Tuition for the camp is $200 for the full-day option and $100 for the half-day option.
Students will engage in a variety of activities which will include, but are not limited to:
• Interaction with re-enactors, veterans and special guests.
• Hands-on experience with artifacts and reproductions from the museum’s collection.
• Tour of the museum’s extensive exhibits.
• Daily sampling of foods from the era.
• Listening to and singing songs from the era.
• Reading interesting stories, articles and working with Primary Sources.
• Arts and crafts activities